I have been an Android devotee since the beginning of Android devices. I started with the HTC Desire and had a Pixel 5 until a couple of weeks ago. I am now the proud owner of an iPhone 14 Pro Max and, along with Google’s recent price increase for YouTube Premium Family, I decided to move to Apple One Family. This article explains how to accept Apple Family Sharing from an Android device.
I invited my wife, who is still an Android user, to my Apple Family Plan and the link that was sent to her said that it had to be opened on an iOS or Mac device. I must admit, I spent quite a lot of time trying to get around this, until eventually I found a way.
Because I couldn’t find an answer online, and because I thought it will be something people may want to do, I thought I would share the method with you here.
Steps to accept Apple Family Sharing from an Android device
- On your Apple device (from which you’re sharing), open Settings
- Tap “Family”
- Click the Profile icon with a plus sign at the top right of the screen
- Tap “Invite Others”
- On the slide-up panel, tap “Invite in Person”.
- This step is mandatory – it will not work any other way if the family member does not have an Apple device.
- Have your family member sign in with their Apple ID.
- If they do not already have an Apple ID, have them create one at appleid.apple.com and make sure they use it to sign into iTunes (on PC) and iCloud (at icloud.com) to make sure that the necessary agreements have been agreed to.
- On the Android Device, install Apple Music, open it and agree to the Ts&Cs.
- Sign into Apple Music on the Android Device using the family member’s new Apple ID
- They will receive a link to their email when you have done the invitation on your iPhone
- If they open this link on PC, it will not work
- If they open this link on their Android phone, it may not work. If it does – good stuff, you can end here.
- If it doesn’t work, go to Settings, Applications (this varies widely based on your specific device. On a Pixel, for example, it’s just “Settings”, “Apps”)
- Tap “Apple Music”
- Tap “Advanced”
- Tap “Opens by default”
- Tap “Supported links”
- Add “setup.icloud.com”.
- Return to the email, and click the link that was sent.
The link should now open in Apple Music and allow your family member to accept the invitation to join your Family Plan.
Let me know if you have trouble in the comments, and I can make sure this is clear enough for everyone!